Sharing our food successes and failures, new recipes and old favorites
...and throwing in some great money-saving deals here and there!

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Jan. 30 - Cottage Cheese Enchiladas

I want to get some good, authentic Mexican recipes in my collection (not the American version of Mexican food) and found a recipe for cottage cheese enchiladas that sounded yummy. It might not have been 100% what I was looking for, but I love enchiladas and figured we'd give this a try. The prep time is a bit long, so I decided to make it on a Saturday when, a) I have a few hours before dinner to make it in stages, and b) I have the boy at home to keep the kids entertained so I don't have to listen to the screaming if I'm not paying enough attention to them.

I think the prep time was probably between 30 and 45 minutes and the cook time was about 35 minutes (although it could have used maybe another 10). I thought they were good...I didn't make any sides but I could have used some refried beans or rice to make it more complete. The boy really enjoyed them, and even Linds ate a half of one (they were just a tiny bit spicier than I figured she'd like). I'm looking for some more Mexican recipes (any dishes, really), so you if you have one, please share it!

Cottage Cheese Enchiladas
Ingredients
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - boiled and shredded
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (7 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups cottage cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce

Directions
  1. To Make Meat Mixture: Heat oil in medium skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken, onion and green chile peppers and saute until browned, then add taco seasoning and prepare meat mixture according to package directions.
  2. To Make Cheese Mixture: In a medium bowl mix sour cream with cottage cheese and season with salt and pepper; stir until well blended.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  4. To Assemble Enchiladas: Heat tortillas until soft. In each tortilla place a spoonful of meat mixture, a spoonful of cheese mixture and a bit of shredded cheese. Roll tortillas and place in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Top with any remaining meat and cheese mixture, enchilada sauce and remaining shredded cheese.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails