Sharing our food successes and failures, new recipes and old favorites
...and throwing in some great money-saving deals here and there!

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Blender Recipes

My dear friend, Sarah, just received her very first (ever in her life!) blender. Now, as a bit of a history - my blender is my second best non-human friend (my computer, naturally, is my B(N-H)FF). When I was just a mere few weeks pregnant with Luke, it broke - I thought my world was ending. I remember writing on the mommy forum I belong to the following "eulogy:"

Pre-pregnancy, my blender was my best friend - bringing me icy margaritas, blended vodka punch drinks, kahlua milkshakes and the like. We had a rocky relationship...me, overusing it, abusing it, always wanting more. But it was kind and gentle - and always provided for me.

Then, the horror, I tried making a non-alcoholic milkshake for Linds and myself last night, and she did not like that. She sputtered and spun - and disintegrated the plastic pieces on the base that makes that little inside spin with glory. She's off in a better place now (the trash can...soon to be dump). And I'm all alone. With things to blend. But nothing to blend with.

Please, if you will, give her a five second salute of silence for all of her courageous work over the years. She will be missed. 


So, in understanding that, when Sarah shared with me that she had NEVER owned a blender, I was just in shock. Luckily, that situation was rectified this past Christmas and now she has a blender - but nothing to blend! Here are a few of my favorite blender recipes.

First of all, one must have the perfect frozen margarita recipe! This is courtesy of my Uncle Doug who, to this day, still makes, hands-down, the best margarita I've ever had in my life.




Margarita Ingredients

  • 8 – 12 oz. tequila
  • 6 – 12 oz. triple sec
  • 12 oz. frozen limeade
  • splash of lime juice
  • Crushed ice

Directions

  1. Blend all ingredients.

Another favorite of mine is one I happened on by accident. I was looking for a good summery low-cal drink and found one for a strawberry-kiwi Crystal Light. After searching through nearly every grocery store in the area, though, I have yet to find that particular kind. Instead, I use the C.L. fruit punch and it is SCRUMPTIOUS! A blender will be plenty if you're looking to get tipsy and the entire blender (if you use diet ginger ale) is only 300ish calories - can't beat getting drunk on less than 300 calories worth of booze!

Vodka Fruit Punch Ingredients

  • 1 tub of Crystal Light Fruit Punch
  • 2 cups of diet ginger ale or diet lemon-line soda
  • 1/2 cup vodka
  • 2 1/2 cups crushed ice

Directions

  1. Place ginger ale, vodka and drink mix in blender container; cover. 
  2. Blend until drink mix is completely dissolved.
  3.  Add ice; cover. 
  4. Blend on high speed until smooth. 
  5. Pour into 6 martini glasses.

    Another one I enjoy (but have only done once) is a watermelon margarita.

    Watermelon Margarita Ingredients

    • 1/2 watermelon, chilled, rind removed, sliced, cut into large chunks
    •  4 cups ice cubes
    • 1 cup lemon-lime soda
    • 1 1/2 cups tequila

    Directions

    1. Combine in blender and puree until smooth.

      And just so that this whole post doesn't revolve around booze, here are some non-alcoholic concoctions that can be blended together for tasty treats.

      Non-alcoholic Combinations

      • 1 cup of milk, low-fat vanilla yogurt, 1 small banana, 2 tsp honey, 4 ice cubes, OR
      • 1 cup OJ,1/2 cup frozen strawberries, 1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt, OR
      • 1 tablespoon peanut butter,1 cup low-fat chocolate yogurt, 1/2 banana, 1 tsp cocoa powder, 4 ice cubes

      Enjoy!

        No comments:

        Related Posts with Thumbnails