Sharing our food successes and failures, new recipes and old favorites
...and throwing in some great money-saving deals here and there!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Jan. 26 - Spaghetti and Applesauce

Well, we have no working oven, so I needed something to do on the stove top (since we used the crock pot yesterday). Figured spaghetti was easy enough...especially since I also have a bunch of sauce in the fridge. I used the same kind as I did for the Chicken Parm Sub (see http://ourfamilymenu.blogspot.com/2010/01/jan-9-chicken-parm-sub.html).

And without an oven, I couldn't do any bread or biscuits like I wanted, so I made some applesauce on the stovetop and the kids and I ate that. Linds absolutely LOVES homemade applesauce and I also served some to Luke, mixed in with the squash I made last week (just a box of frozen stuff, so nothing fancy yet!). Here's my applesauce recipe:

Applesauce
Ingredients
4 apples (I used Gala this time), cored and chopped up (you can also peel them, although I like to keep the skin on for a little extra fiber)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 packets of Splenda (the original recipe called for 1/4 cup sugar but that was just WAY too sweet!)
3/4 cup water

Directions
  1. Combine ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
  2. Once finished, blend in a food processor to make it a smoother blend.

Linds gobbled up a pretty big bowl after her dinner and Luke scarfed down a few dallops that were mixed in with his squash. I'm super stoked to go grocery shopping tomorrow so that I can get the little guy all sorts of fresh fruits and veggies to mash up and serve him! I made all of Lindsay's food and hate, hate, HATE serving jarred stuff to him for the past month, but I just haven't had time to hit the grocery store. I'm picking up some avocado, bananas and peaches for fruits (there's a great peachy banana 'cado blend with yogurt that I'm dying to try out!), and I'm going to do some green beans and eggplant for veggies (he's never done eggplant and I'm not too huge a fan, but maybe we can both learn to love it together). I also have carrots at home I can steam just in case he doesn't dig the eggplant. I'm probably only shopping tomorrow night after the boy comes home from work, so it may not be until Thursday that I have a good update of what he enjoys.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails