Sharing our food successes and failures, new recipes and old favorites
...and throwing in some great money-saving deals here and there!

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Jan. 19 Sweet & Sour Pork

I tried a new crockpot recipe today - sweet and sour pork - and served it over rice with a side of green beans and almonds. The pork was dry (despite being cooked all day in a juicy sauce), the flavor was blah (there definitely was a sweet and sour flavor there...just not very good), and I was pretty disappointed with the result. Linds refused to eat it...she took one bite and walked away from the table. Scott said it was okay, but he wouldn't miss it if it didn't make the rotation. Needless to say, I won't be putting that dish together again!

I'm not going to bother posting the recipe, but it was pretty much pineapple, diced green pepper, soy sauce, brown sugar, water, ketchup and a few other things mixed together and served over the pork. Here's how it looked in the crockpot:

Then here's the final product:

The green beans tasted delicious and I snacked on some leftover Amish bread tonight (even better the next day!). I'm dying for a glass of wine, but trying to cut back on my wine consumption during the week (between trying to shave off those last few pregnancy pounds and making sure I'm not hitting the bottle too hard on a regular basis!). Oh, well, tomorrow will be a better day! It's either chicken and dumplings or chili - need to think about what I should defrost...hmmm...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails