Sharing our food successes and failures, new recipes and old favorites
...and throwing in some great money-saving deals here and there!

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Newlywed Guest Blog!

Remember my good friend, Katie? She was the one married a month or so ago that I used to work with at Drexel...the one who kept me sane during those crazy days! She's also the one who passed along the famed cornbread enchilada casserole. Well, in all of her newlywed glory, she found another dish that pleased both her and her husband! I'm drooling as I type, so I may just have to go and get some Ritz crackers and make this for dinner STAT! Here's the recipe:

True to the magazine's name, this recipe is simple to make and real simple to scarf down before your husband gets off a phone call and the heat is still billowing off the meat and the side dish isn't even finished cooking. The cheesy cracker mixture kept the moisture in and the buttery flavor mixed very well with the small amount of garlic, salt and pepper. I cut the breasts in half because we bought super huge pieces from Sam's. I managed to eat four pieces (probably two breasts) because it was so yummy. I can't wait for noon tomorrow when I can heat it up at work.

This meal was made after a string of mediocre dinners on my part. I hoped it would be good but didn't get too excited in case it turned out like my bland rice and beans or my too-tart-for-my-liking tilapia. Something told me, though, that I should have taken a picture of me prepping it because it would be the next good meal I made and would be good for this blog. Well, then something else told me not to jinx it so i just plodded along, dipping the chicken into the butter and then the cracker mixture and then the cookie sheet (I wanted to be a good guest blogger and offer up a different kind of picture than just the finished product.... but, that will have to wait until next time.. if i am allowed back!)

So, here's to your next favorite chicken dish!

Cheddar Chicken
from Real Simple's May 2010 issue
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 25-30 mins
Ingredients
16 buttery crackers (i.e., Ritz) crushed
6 oz grated sharp cheddar
1 clove chopped garlic
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper

Directions
  1. Heat over to 350.
  2. In a bowl, combine crushed crackers, cheese, garlic, salt and pepper
  3. Dip the chicken in the butter, then in the cracker mixture, pressing gently to help it adhere, and then place on a foil-lined baking sheet
  4. Sprinkle remaining cracker mixture on the chicken and drizzle any remaining butter on top.
  5. Bake 25-30 mins and until chicken is golden brown and cooked through.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails