Sharing our food successes and failures, new recipes and old favorites
...and throwing in some great money-saving deals here and there!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Apr. 6 - Grilled cheese & broccoli

I think I'm making it slowly back into the land of the living, so I decided to give dinner a whirl. I figured a grilled cheese would probably be safe, so I split one with Luke (who not only gobbled up his half, but also a bowl full of tomato soup!). I didn't do any soup...not sure how the acidity of the tomatoes would work on my tummy...but I also made broccoli. I found a really delish recipe and thought I'd try that. I definitely recommend it - I often get a little tired of plain veggies and enjoy giving them a shot of flavor (with soy sauce, no less...I think it's my new favorite condiment).


Broccoli with Garlic Butter
Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
1/4 cup butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup chopped salted cashews

Directions
  1. Place the broccoli into a large pot with about 1 inch of water in the bottom. Bring to a boil, and cook for 7 minutes, or until tender but still crisp. Drain, and arrange broccoli on a serving platter.
  2. While the broccoli is cooking, melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Mix in the brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, pepper and garlic. 
  3. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat. 
  4. Mix in the cashews, and pour the sauce over the broccoli. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails