Sharing our food successes and failures, new recipes and old favorites
...and throwing in some great money-saving deals here and there!

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Apr. 3 - Crab Legs

Since Miss Linds is spending the weekend with Memma & Poppie, the boy and I figured we should make the crab legs so that we didn't have to share them with her - ha! Armed with about 4.5 lbs. worth of crab legs and instructions from Sarah as to how to make them, we made our first batch of crab legs at home ever. The boy wound up making them for the most part (Luke needed a bath after he projectile vomited his carrots from dinner - my fault for drinking a chocolate/peanut butter milkshake last night and then nursing throughout the day)...and they were great!

We had king crab legs, which were "spiney" and hurt my fingers like hell trying to get them opened (if I missed an easy way to avoid that, let me know - my fingers are still sore as I type), but they tasted so delicious. The only issue I had was that the shell was a bit rubbery...can't figure out if it was because they were overcooked, undercooked, refrigerated and then frozen, or what. It wasn't a big issue - we got the meat out, and that's all that mattered!
And what makes this occasion even more exciting is that I got to purchase my very first stock pot to cook them in! I also bought a nutcracker set, which I hadn't had before. New kitchen toys - yay! They were super easy to make - we boiled the water and a bottle of beer mixed together, tossed in the crab legs, and cooked them for 15 minutes. I recommend giving them a shot if you like crab meat!

1 comment:

Kyle said...

Cooking Frozen Crab Legs
Most frozen crab legs are already pre-cooked so they will just need to be heated. When cooking frozen crab legs, we have found the best way is to place them in a colander or steamer over rapidly boiling water. The pot should be about one-third of the way filled with water. You will need to cover the pot and steam your frozen crab legs for about ten minutes or until they are completely heated. Boiling them will make them rubbery.

To open the crab legs use a "sea sheller" available at thekitchenstore.com for $1.99 each just follow the link http://www.thekitchenstore.com/070848070107.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails