Sharing our food successes and failures, new recipes and old favorites
...and throwing in some great money-saving deals here and there!

Monday, June 14, 2010

June 12 - Jambalaya

Surprisingly, I had all of the ingredients for jambalaya, so that's what I made (with my grocery store trip planned for today, I have a little bit of nothing). I made it without the cajun seasoning hoping the kids would like it, and believe it or not, they both ate small portions of it. I thought it was a little bland and tasteless, but with enough seasoning, it wasn't bad. It just tasted more like a kielbasa, rice, and tomatoes dish. I like my food with a kick, so I definitely recommend cooking it with the cajun seasoning rather than sprinkling it on after it's finished. I've posted it before, but here's the recipe - it's one of our favorites! (PS: the photos are old, but are good ones of the dish in it's "proper" form.)


Jambalaya
Ingredients
2 T butter
1 medium onion chopped
1 cup bell pepper
2 cloves garlic/minced
1 1-lb Hillshire Farm smoked sausage (cut into 1/4 inch slices)
1 cup converted rice
2 cups chicken broth
3 T Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce
14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes, drained

Directions
  1. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. 
  2. Add onion, pepper, garlic, and sausage for 5 minutes. 
  3. Stir in rice, broth, Tabasco, tomatoes, and Cajun seasoning and bring to boil. 
  4. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 25 minutes. 
  5. Let sit 5 minutes.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails