Sharing our food successes and failures, new recipes and old favorites
...and throwing in some great money-saving deals here and there!

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Feb. 20 - Alfredo Pasta w/ Broccoli

After eating out and snacking for dinner over the past few days, I was desperate for a home-cooked meal. I only got home from my dear friend Katie's bridal shower around 4ish, and was wrapped up in playing with the kiddos for an hour...and by 5 I was ravenous! I figured I'd do the fettuccine alfredo with broccoli. The alfredo sauce is so easy to make and comes from a diabetic cookbook, so it's much lower in calories than the jarred stuff and a far healthier alternative. I sometimes top it with chicken or shrimp, but the veggies just sounded good for tonight, so that's what we did! Linds refused to eat it (she was in a mood today), but the boy even managed to force down some of that dreaded "green stuff" he hates so much.

Alfredo Sauce
Ingredients
6 tablespoons reduced-fat butter/margarine
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

Directions
  1. Melt butter in medium saucepan on medium-low setting.
  2. Stir in flour until mixture is smooth.
  3. Pour in milk, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and begins to bubble.
  4. Stir in Parmesan cheese and stir until cheese melts.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails