Sharing our food successes and failures, new recipes and old favorites
...and throwing in some great money-saving deals here and there!

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Veggies Galore!

Thanks to my fabulous neighbors friends, Joy and Kortney, we got to go pick up another share from Vollmecke Farms this summer! The two are enjoying a vacation in the Grand Canyon, so we reap the benefits of them missing pick-up.

This time around we got tons of great fruits, veggies and spices! Our loot included:
  • 1 quart cherry tomatoes
  • 1 quart tomatoes
  • 2 onions
  • 1 bulb of garlic
  • 1 green pepper
  • 2 jalapeƱo peppers
  • 1 habanero pepper
  • 1 basket of beets
  • 1 bag of green beans
  • 2 buttercup squash
  • 1 basket of potatoes
  • 1 bag of apples
  • Basil (both regular and Thai)
I can't even begin to imagine all of the possibilities of what we can do with this stuff! I already used the cherry tomatoes, onion, some garlic, and all of the peppers in a salsa. A lot of the other stuff will go with our meals for the next week or two (they must have known I had TONS of potatoes in the works). I'm a little excited about the beets, too - I've never had them (except with pickled eggs), so I want to try doing something a little fun with them. I contemplated making another pie with the apples, but after eating 3/4 of the last one by myself, I think it's in my best interest (as well as my thighs' best interest?!) to just snack on them plain :)

Thank you again, Joy and Kortney! <3

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails