Sharing our food successes and failures, new recipes and old favorites
...and throwing in some great money-saving deals here and there!

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

September 21 - Blue Cheese Beef Roast

Tonight's dinner made me cry. Literally. Not in the good, "oh God, this is so delicious" way - but in the, "oh God, this should have been done over an hour ago, my kids are screaming from hunger and need baths and sleep, and I think I'm going to gnaw off my arm if I don't eat something" way. It was the final disaster in the series of crap that went on throughout the day and I think I just finally lost it by the time 7:00 hit and we were all still waiting for it to finish.

I grossly underestimated the time this stupid roast was going to need to cook, so when I pulled it out a little after 6 p.m. and expected it to be sliced and served and the damn thing was still raw inside, I just collapsed mentally. And let me tell you - it sucked. I figured I could give it until 6:30 and it should be ready (which isn't a big deal since that's when the boy gets home and we could eat as a family). Pulled it out and guess what? Still not cooked. We took the kids up, bathed and PJed them, came back down at 7 p.m. and the ends were finally ready enough to eat. Nevermind the green beans were done 45 minutes earlier or the potatoes were so done they became mushy...at least the meat was finally cooked! Grrrrrr.

And the worst part? It wasn't even that great. I mean, it was decent...but it wasn't enough to make up for the fact that everyone (including myself) was melting down by the time the plates were on the table. The tension was so bad, in fact, that I mixed a stiff drink (grapefruit vodka and grapefruit juice) to enjoy during the meal. Yes, it sounds like I'm overreacting to a so-so meal...but like I said, it was the final crappy straw in a frustrating day.

I'll post the recipe, but I tell you what - I refuse to cook this again. The effort and agony put into it was SO not worth it! Maybe you can make it better - and if you do, please let me know.

Blue Cheese Beef Tenderloin
Ingredients
1 (3 pound) whole beef tenderloin
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1/2 cup red wine
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2/3 cup sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

Directions
  1. Place beef in a shallow dish. Combine teriyaki sauce, red wine and garlic; pour over beef. Allow beef to marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
  3. Place tenderloin on broiler pan, and cook in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and cook for 30 to 40 more minutes (or an hour and a half?!?!?!?!?), or to desired doneness. Allow to set for 10 minutes before slicing.
  4. In a saucepan over low heat, combine blue cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until smooth; serve over sliced tenderloin. 
And here's the recipe to my FAVORITE potatoes!!

Garlic Red Potatoes
Ingredients

2 pounds red potatoes, quartered
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 lemon, juiced
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

  1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Place potatoes in an 8x8 inch baking dish.
  3. In a small bowl combine melted butter, garlic, salt and lemon juice; pour over potatoes and stir to coat. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over potatoes.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes (or until golden brown).

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails