Sharing our food successes and failures, new recipes and old favorites
...and throwing in some great money-saving deals here and there!

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

May 3 - Crab Cakes

It's official - vacation is less than 2 weeks away! We leave on Sunday, May 16, after lunch and head down to Atlantic City for a week with my family (my parents, my brother and his girlfriend, and even my sister will be there - our first family vacation that I have been on, honestly, since 1999 I think). Since we'll be gone, I want to use up as much of the food in the house so that nothing goes to waste. I made a list of at least 15 different meals we have available (my god this stockpiling thing is fantastic!), so I'll be going through those over the next two weeks.

Last night while I was digging around the freezer I found crab cakes from when I made them before (back in early March, I think?), so I decided to whip those up with some yellow saffron rice (which I got for free, thanks to coupons and a sale at Giant) and corn. I had 4 cakes, which I figured Linds would turn her nose up at, so I gave the boy two and I took one, knowing full well that when Linds said "ewwww!" to hers, I'd eat the rest. Wouldn't you know she devoured it?! And I'm not talking simply eating...she scarfed it down and begged for more. While this was going on, Luke was screeching in his highchair, which is code for, "FEED ME!" I gave him a bite of my crab cake (thanks to the allergy testing we know he has no shellfish allergy) and he continued screeching. Great - this kid likes 'em, too! I have a feeling my kiddos are going to have very expensive palates! Here's a rerun of the crab cake recipe:

Crab Cakes
Ingredients
16 oz. crab meat
1/2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
1 egg
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. mustard
1 Tbsp. melted butter
1/2 tsp. parsley flakes
1/2 c. breadcrumbs

Directions
  1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except crab meat.
  2. Shape into cakes.
  3. Pan-fry 15 minutes, turning half-way through, until both sides are golden-brown and cooked through.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails