Sharing our food successes and failures, new recipes and old favorites
...and throwing in some great money-saving deals here and there!

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Beer Glazed Ham

I made this a couple of weeks ago and completely forgot to follow up with it on my blog. It was so, so delicious and *everyone* in the family scarfed it down. And for some bizarre reason, Linds kept calling the ham, "bacon"...right animal, wrong part?!

I copped out and made some boxed au gratin potatoes with it (they were super, super cheap and made for a good side on a night where I need something quick to make),and the rest of the green beans from Vollmecke Farms (an organic CSA right here in Coatesville!).

The glaze is easy to make and is probably my favorite way to eat ham...it's a little sweet (and for a sweet tooth like me, that perfect), but not too overbearing. I've made this for some of the mamas, too, after they've had babies and it's a big hit since it's something beside the same-old casserole and no more difficult to make.

Beer Glazed Ham
Ingredients
1 boneless fully cooked ham (3 lbs.) 
1 can beer
1 cup packed brown sugar  
2 T balsamic vinegar
2 tsp ground mustard

Directions
  1. Place ham on a rack in a shallow roasting pan (I didn't have a rack, so I rolled up some foil to keep the ham from sitting right in the pan). Score the surface of the ham, making diamond shapes ½ inch deep. 
  2. Set aside 2 T beer. Pour remaining beer over ham. 
  3. Bake, uncovered at 350 for 1 hour. 
  4. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, vinegar, mustard and reserved beer; spread over ham.
  5. Bake 40-45 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 140, basting occasionally.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails