Sharing our food successes and failures, new recipes and old favorites
...and throwing in some great money-saving deals here and there!

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

July 19 - Pasta Primavera

My green beans finally sprouted! I was so excited to be able to pick a small handful on Sunday. Here they are:
I also had lots of veggies from Vollmecke Farms - my wonderfully generous neighbor helps them farm there and in exchange receives a share of their veggies. They were traveling a couple weeks ago, so she let me pick up her share and keep them. I had yellow squash and broccoli from the share, some peppers and carrots that I picked up at the grocery, and of course, the beans. With all these veggies, I decided to make some pasta primavera. I tossed the veggies in a little olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted them at 400 for about 20 or 25 minutes.
I knew the kiddos would want something fun to eat with their veggies, so instead of any plain old pasta, I made miniature bowtie pasta (which I got for free with some coupons a month or two ago!). I also made a light sauce with chicken stock and milk, which tasted delicious. It was a perfect light, summer pasta...too bad the kids AND my husband had no interest in the vegetables. Gah! I'm trying one of those Deceptively Delicious meals tonight so that hopefully they can get some sort of vegetable in their diet (besides corn). Here's the recipe for the sauce:

Primavera Sauce
Ingredients
3 cloves minced garlic
1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
1/2 cup milk (I used whole since it was the only type we had)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions
  1. Heat the oil in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. 
  2. Cook garlic until soft, about 1 minute. 
  3. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute more. 
  4. Add chicken stock, milk, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
  5. Reduce to a simmer and cook until liquid has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails