Sharing our food successes and failures, new recipes and old favorites
...and throwing in some great money-saving deals here and there!

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

May 4 - Tangy Spare Ribs

When I ordered my freezer special package from the butcher, they gave us two separate packages of spare ribs. I defrosted one overnight and meant to toss it in the crockpot, but realized around 3:00 that I didn't. Whoops! I decided to try out a different recipe then for tangy spare ribs that I've been eying for quite some time.

Well, suffice it to say, I wasn't entirely thrilled with it. They weren't bad, just not as good as the others. When I first made my original rib recipe, I was so nervous that they'd turn out blah and was pleasantly surprised. Thank god I didn't do this one first! Seriously, they aren't bad - they were just not as moist and the sauce had a bit too much kick for me (not a spicy kick...a, well, tangy kick).

Linds loved them...I swear she ate more than I did?! We also had some sweet potato cornbread that I had made a few weeks ago, which Luke devoured. It's fun to see him start eating finger foods (although he didn't care for these ribs like he did the others). If you'd like to give it a shot, here's the recipe; I'm also reposting the sweet potato corn bread because it's THAT good!

Tangy Spare Ribs
Ingredients
4 pounds pork spareribs
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon chili powder

Directions
  1. Cut ribs into serving-size pieces; place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
  2. Meanwhile in a medium saucepan, saute onion in butter for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cook and stir until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. 
  3. Drain fat from roasting pan. Pour sauce over ribs. 
  4. Bake 1-1/2 hours longer or until meat is tender.

Sweet Potato Corn Bread
Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon vinegar + 1 cup milk + 15 T milk
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and grated

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Spray a 9x9 baking dish.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside. 
  3. In a small bowl, combine egg, buttermilk, sweet potato and softened butter.
  4. Fold liquid mixture into dry mixture and stir until just well blended.
  5. Pour into baking dish and bake 20 minutes, or until the center springs back when lightly pressed with a fingertip.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails