Sharing our food successes and failures, new recipes and old favorites
...and throwing in some great money-saving deals here and there!

Thursday, December 9, 2010

December 8 - Spicy Mongolian Beef

We ate nuggets and mashed sweet potatoes for dinner on Tuesday night (we got home right around 5:00 after running errands all afternoon and the kids were STARVED and I needed to feed them quickly), so I definitely wanted to cook something decent on Wednesday night. I've been itching to make some spicy Mongolian beef, but I knew Linds and Luke wouldn't eat it, so they wound up with hot dogs and corn. After we tucked them into bed, I went to work on a super quick meal and the boy and I feasted by ourselves!

I threw together the marinade that morning and let it sit throughout the day in the fridge. The veggies I used were a steam-bag of Asian medley, and I tossed some rice in my rice cooker to go with everything else. The prep time for the marinade was about 10 minutes (you have to cut the flank steak into strips which makes it more time consuming than the 30 seconds it takes to toss the marinade together), and then there was another 10 minutes active cook time (for the beef and veggies). The rice took about 20, but you can always use minute rice if you're in a pinch.

The recipe claims it's "super-spicy," however, neither the boy nor I found it to be extreme. Obviously too spicy for my kiddos, but nothing too crazy for us. There was enough of the marinade left with the beef to coat the veggies and rice, too. Definitely worth trying if you don't mind food with a kick!

Spicy Mongolian Beef
Ingredients
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons white sugar
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 pound beef flank steak, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon peanut oil

Directions
  1. Whisk together soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, sugar, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a bowl.
  2. Toss beef with marinade, cover, and refrigerate 1 hour to overnight.
  3. Heat peanut oil in a wok or large, nonstick skillet over high heat. Stir in the beef. 
  4. Cook and stir until the beef is no longer pink and is beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. 
 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails