Sharing our food successes and failures, new recipes and old favorites
...and throwing in some great money-saving deals here and there!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Chicken Veggie Burgers

It's the beginning of a new year, which means I have all sorts of outlandish goals to eat less meat, healthier meals with more fruits and vegetables, keep the kids more active, maintain my dedication to the gym, etc. I know I'm like 99% of the other people out there...these will all last a good week to 10 days before I give up and say, "screw it - it's mashed potatoes and Twizzlers for dinner!" But, for now, I'm going to go back to planning out nutritious meals.

I decided to make chicken veggie burgers tonight - a recipe I came across a long time ago that's chock full of veggies - and in my haste to get a meal on the table for the kids before they melted down, found nothing to pair it with except curly fries. Okay, so half a decent meal is an okay way to start the year, right? RIGHT?!? The boy enjoys these burgers surprisingly enough, Linds didn't mind hers, and after spitting out the first bite, Luke dipped his in ketchup and licked the ketchup off. I don't think he ingested any of the actual burger, but here's hoping he got a nutrient or two in there.

Chicken Veggie Burgers
Ingredients
1 lb ground chicken
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup red pepper
1/4 cup green pepper
1/4 cup red onion
1/4 cup celery
2 T chopped parsley
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T soy sauce

Directions
  1. Preheat skillet to medium.
  2. Mix all ingredients until just combined.
  3. Form into 8 patties.
  4. Fry in canola oil (about 4-5 minutes each side).
(Sorry for the raw burger shot - forgot to take one of them cooked.)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails